Friday, September 22, 2006

A new path...

Today I took a new path. I've looked at that path many times over the past several months, and then taken the familiar way. Today I took the "other" path. I didn't know where it would lead. All I knew is where I started from. (Much like most of my posts...I'm not sure where it will eventually end up.) So I decided to be adventurous.

I realized something as I explored this new path: I don't take new path's very often, because I assume I know where they lead. Sometimes I'm right, but other times I'm missing out on the blessings that come with new paths because I'm so busy trying to control outcomes.

Come to think of it, I spend a lot of time trying to gain control: control over a situation, over understanding, over others, over my life - but I am convicted by the ancient words I preached on not even seven days ago - Whoever wants to save his life must lose it...

Hard words, especially for me, one who likes familiar paths and the safety of assuming I know what lies ahead on new paths. I've spent the better part of 32 years "controlling", "assuming", coasting down easy or familiar paths. I think I'm ready to give that up. I want to be a part of something bigger than myself. I don't want some institution whose rules and procedures seem to exist purely for its own preservation. I want to live in the dangerous wonder of Jesus.

The thing is, I don't even know where to begin. Its hard to change 32 years of thinking in one simple thought, or one blog post. But as the old saying goes, "A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step." Maybe this is my first step?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    ohh...i love this post. i so want to experience the dangerous wonder of jesus too. i think the other path requires a bit of courage on our part and living in the moment of His love.
    may His light shine and show you what to do and where to go from here...

    peace,

    patience

    ReplyDelete